TUD currently has an existing 1983 contract with PG&E to provide the water supply for TUD from the South Fork Stanislaus River. This water is stored in Pinecrest Lake, Lyons Reservoir, Phoenix Lake and other small reservoirs on the TUD ditch system. PG&E currently owns Lyons Reservoir and the 15.7-mile Main Tuolumne Canal that leads to its Phoenix powerhouse. From the Main Canal, TUD’s water splits into three branches – one serves Twain Harte, Soulsbyville and Tuolumne; and another feeds TUD’s network of ditches, pipelines and treatment plants that serve Crystal Falls, Big Hill and Columbia. The remainder goes into Phoenix Reservoir to serve Phoenix Lake, East Sonora, Sonora and Jamestown.
- Water Connections – 14,313 homes and businesses
- Delivered 1.4 billion gallons of treated drinking water in 2016
- Operates 11 Surface Water Treatment Plants
- 66 Treated Water Storage Tanks
- 70 miles of ditch system, some of it originally built in the 1850s
- Maintains 320 miles of treated water pipeline